Serving Ridgefield, Danbury, New Canaan & all of the Greater Area
The term whiplash is commonly associated with motor vehicle accidents whereby there is initial hyper-extension of the neck followed by rebound hyper-flexion. The most common cause of this type of injury is the result of a rear-end impact collision. Whiplash injuries are not exclusively related to car accidents; they can occur from any trauma that entails hyper-extension followed by flexion of the neck. Whiplash injuries cause pain all around the neck and can radiate into the back, head, arms and chest. This is the result of all the musculature around the neck going into spasm.
What is Osteopathic Medicine?
Osteopathic medicine is a combination of more traditional and conventional medical practices, mixed with osteopathic manipulative treatments. The modern aspect of osteopathy includes prescription drugs, surgery, imaging, and diagnosis & evaluation of disease or injury. The osteopathic manipulative treatment focuses on structure and function within the body. These methods usually involve using manipulative techniques to restore proper motor function within the body by correcting structure.
Osteopathy’s school of study is unique in that it focuses on the body’s natural ability to repair itself. That said, osteopathic doctors focus on achieving and maintain overall well-being by promoting self-healing, disease prevention, and living a healthy lifestyle. Our osteopathic physicians serving patients of Ridgefield, Danbury and New Canaan take a look at the body as a whole in order to help fix injuries, and prevent them down the line.
Common Osteopathic Techniques to Treat Whiplash Include:
- Isometric Exercises – Simple exercises used to promote neck strength.
- Muscle Energy – While muscles are being used in a specific position or direction, a counterforce is applied.
- Myofascial Therapy – A type of soft tissue therapy used to release muscular shortness and tightness.
- Soft Tissue Mobilization – This type of mobilization is used to engage the area around the neck and upper spine, through rhythmic stretching, deep pressure, or traction.
- Strain/Counterstrain – Used to pinpoint the positions of maximum head and neck pain and maximum comfort.
How Can Our Osteopathic Treatment Help?*
- The sooner osteopathic treatment for whiplash is commenced, the more likely recovery will be quicker. Unresolved injuries can result in pain and disability for months or years to come. *
- The upper back and thoracic cage would be treated, as this is a region usually traumatized from the seatbelt or airbag.
- Osteopathic techniques will correct range of movement through the rest of the spine and ribcage.*
- Osteopathic treatment will also address the sacral-pelvic areas and relieve tension occurring at the base of the neck of our patients in Ridgefield, Danbury, and New Canaan .*
Why Choose the Osteopathic Wellness Center?
Osteopathic Wellness Center, serving Ridgefield, Danbury and New Canaan will not engage in expensive medical practices unless entirely necessary. We will focus on giving your body the extra help it needs in order to facilitate its own recovery. All the while, we will be advising you on healthy practices to keep and maintain proper functionality in the injured area, as well as practices that will keep you and your body healthy moving forward.*