Serving Ridgefield, Danbury, New Canaan & all of the Greater Area
Overuse, playing too hard, and not warming up or stretching properly are common causes of injuries when playing sports. It is important to warm up before and cool down after each activity. In addition, ill-fitting footwear or gear can lead to hip, knee or foot injuries. Injuries can result from repetitive overuse or wear and tear from any hobby, sport or activity.
What is Osteopathic Medicine?
Osteopathy combines both modern medical practices, with a more holistic approach to injury correction through osteopathic manipulation. The traditional aspects of medicine that osteopathy include are the use of prescription drugs, surgery, imaging, and diagnosis & treatment. Osteopathic treatments focus on the manipulation of structure in order to restore function.
The unique parts of osteopathy come from the idea that the body, as a complex system, has the ability to heal itself. Therefore, osteopathic doctors focus on achieving and maintaining overall well-being by promoting self-healing, disease prevention, and a healthy style of living. This involves taking a look at the body as a whole in order to address specific injuries, and prevent injuries in the future.
How can osteopathic treatment help sports injuries?
- Osteopathy will help treat the injuries being suffered and enable the body’s peak performance to be restored in our Ridgefield, Danbury, and New Canaan patients.*
- Hands-on techniques will be used to help reduce inflammation, restore structural balance, improve mobility and influence your limbs and joints back to smooth movement.*
- We will use a variety of different hands-on manipulation techniques to help ease your symptoms, get to the cause of the problem and get you back to your normal lifestyle. We may gently manipulate the elbow, wrist, neck and upper back joints, depending on where the strain-pattern is located.*
- Our office serving Ridgefield, Danbury, and New Canaan may offer you advice on which activities and movements to avoid, advice on specific exercise and advice for appropriate sports braces to use for support, Kinesiotaping (KT tape) to improve stability, as well as making custom orthotics.*
Some of the Sports Injuries We Treat:
- Tennis & Golfer’s Elbow
- Frozen shoulder
- Plantar fasciitis
- Achilles tendon pathologies
- Medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints)
- Meniscal problems
- Knee pain and locking
- Ankle strains and sprains
- Heel spurs
- Arch problems
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
Common Osteopathic Techniques to Treat Sports Injuries Include:
- Isometric Exercises – Simple exercises used to promote and retain muscle strength
- Muscle Energy – While muscles are being used in a specific position or direction, a counterforce is applied.
- Myofascial Therapy – A type of soft tissue therapy used to release muscular shortness and tightness.
- Soft Tissue Mobilization – This type of mobilization is used to engage soft tissue, through rhythmic stretching, deep pressure, or traction.
- Strain/Counterstrain – Used to pinpoint the positions of maximum pain and maximum comfort.
Why Choose the Osteopathic Wellness Center?
Here at Osteopathic Wellness Center of Ridgefield, Danbury and New Canaan, we will focus on giving you and your body everything it needs to help heal itself to the greatest potential. Through osteopathic manipulation, we can address your sports injury and maintain as much range-of-motion and motor function as possible. We will only use invasive, and expensive, procedures in the event that they are completely necessary. Our goal is to aid your body in healing quickly and naturally. Additionally, we will our Ridgefield, Danbury and New Canaan patients build healthier practices in order to help prevent these types of injuries in the future.*