Serving Ridgefield, Danbury, New Canaan & surrounding areas
Neck pain is typically the result of everyday tasks, most hard to avoid in your daily life. Working on a computer, long drives, poor posture while standing or sitting, and stress are all common causes of neck and upper back pain. Neck pain typically presents itself as tightness and stiffness, and can cause painful tension headaches and migraines. Chronic neck pain is caused by tight muscles and stiff joints.
Neck pain can be extremely annoying, and begin to interfere with everyday activities. Neck pain sufferers are often unable to sleep and have limited motion. Whether your pain stems from your lifestyle, a disease, or an injury, osteopathic treatment can relieve your pain permanently. *
What is Osteopathic Medicine?
Osteopathic medicine is a distinct type of medical practice, as it incorporates the benefits of modern medicine within osteopathic manipulative medicine. The traditional aspect of osteopathy includes prescription drugs, surgery, imaging, and diagnosis & evaluation of disease or injury. Osteopathic treatment emphasizes structure and function, using manipulative techniques to restore proper structure and therefore, function.
Osteopathy’s unique distinction comes from the belief that the body, as a unified whole, can heal itself naturally. Osteopathic doctors focus on achieving overall wellbeing, by focusing on self-healing, disease prevention, and living a healthy lifestyle. Osteopathic physicians (DOs) take a holistic approach by viewing the patient as a whole, rather than targeting a specific area of pain or disease.
Why Osteopathic Medicine for Neck Pain?
- Osteopathic treatment for all areas of the body typically utilize some form of manipulation. Manipulation allows for the rest and mobilization of all components of the musculoskeletal system, which in turn produces natural processes for self-regulation and healing.
- Osteopathic medicine has been widely used throughout the United States for treatment of neck pain since its creation. Clinical evidence supports the beneficial effects of manipulation for neck pain.*
- Osteopaths will use a wide range of gentle manual treatments, decided upon based on your age, fitness and diagnosis. Treatment for neck pain may involve other areas of the body as well, such as the spine, back, and face. X-rays, scans or other diagnostic tests may be ordered as needed.
- In addition to manual treatment done in our office, osteopathic medicine includes lifestyle advice and an at-home maintenance plan. Your DO may talk to you about posture, dieting, exercise, and how to maintain your pain relief outside of the office.
Some of the Neck Conditions We Treat:
- Acute neck pain
- Chronic neck pain
- Disc problems
- Radiating pain into the arm
- Whiplash injuries
- Headaches & migraines
Common Osteopathic Techniques to Treat Neck Pain Include:
- Isometric Exercises – Simple exercises used to promote neck strength.
- Muscle Energy – While muscles are being used in a specific position or direction, a counterforce is applied.
- Myofascial Therapy – A type of soft tissue therapy used to release muscular shortness and tightness.
- Soft Tissue Mobilization – This type of mobilization is used to engage the area around the neck and upper spine, through rhythmic stretching, deep pressure, or traction.
- Strain/Counterstrain – Used to pinpoint the positions of maximum head and neck pain and maximum comfort.
Why Choose the Osteopathic Wellness Center?
Unlike other medical practices who capitalize on a patient’s pain by performing expensive treatments, Osteopathic Wellness Center implements gentle and precise hands-on manipulation. Our mission is to ignite the internal healing process, allowing our patients to recover quickly and naturally. In addition to simply treating your neck pain, we strive to encourage and empower our patients and allow them to live to their fullest potential. *