Migraines are caused by a number of factors such as family history, reaction to different foods, anxiety, stress, and structural imbalances. Tension-type headache pain is described as if the head is being constantly squeezed in a vice. Headaches are derived from muscle spasms in the neck and joint irritations that often come about from poor posture or injuries. There is often venous blood congestion and small compressions in the sutures at the base of the skull bones. Another contributing factor to headaches is inflammation, which can result from poor diet or toxins that can accumulate over time from an intestinal imbalance (leaky gut syndrome).
How our osteopathic treatment can help
- Cranial osteopathy is a system of gentle hands-on manipulation of the bones and tissues of the skull and brain to help restore the flow of cerebro-spinal fluid circulation through the central nervous system, and to normalize health and balance.*
- Gentle pressure to tight muscles and manipulation to loosen the joints of the neck, thorax and upper back can relieve the build-up of muscular tension and facial strain that may lead to headaches.*
- We may advise on exercise, lifestyle, and dietary changes, or offer guidance on simple changes to your posture when at work or driving.
Some types of headaches we treat:
- Chronic headaches
- Post-concussion headaches
- Tension headaches
- Sinus headaches and sinusitis