Pain and clicking in the temporomandibular joint (TMJ) or jaw is fairly common. It can lead to difficulty eating, talking and at worst case, locking of the jaw. Dental imbalances can also interfere with normal breathing and airway function, especially at night, as well as swallowing. There are many causes for stress through the bones of the face, teeth, jaw and tongue muscles. This could be a result of teeth grinding at night, a stressful career, abnormal bite, incorrect orthodontia, or trauma the head, neck, or jaw.
Cranial osteopaths and holistic dentists will collaborate in conditions related to the teeth, jaw, mouth and face. Osteopathic treatment and ALF (advanced light force) functional orthodontics, can help support the natural function and healing forces within the body.* This allows normal facial development, jaw alignment, balance of the tongue and jaw muscles, and proper airway function and breathing.*
Some of the dental conditions we treat:
- TMJ (temporomandibular joint) dysfunction
- Abnormal bite (overbite, underbite, crowding)
- Bruxism (teeth grinding)
- Open mouth breathers
- Snoring / obstructive sleep apnea
- Tongue thrust and speech problems
- Behavioral and developmental issues in children
- Pain in the head, neck, and shoulder region
- Children with night sweats, who move a lot in their sleep, or cannot wake themselves in the morning.
How can osteopathic treatment help?
- Cranial osteopathy will work to release the small yet powerful muscles, ligaments and joints that control jaw function.*
- Sometimes treatment will involve internal work in the mouth, on the muscles of the jaw and surrounding structures.*
- We are available to work with your dentist and orthodontist to facilitate the most beneficial results.