Back pain is a very common problem, with reports suggesting as many as 80 percent of Americans will suffer from chronic back pain at some point during their lives. Back pain can be brought on by lifting, moving awkwardly or by an accident. Sometimes it can come on without any specific injury to your back. Stress, depression, posture, being overweight, sedentary living and poor lifestyle habits can all be significant factors.
People can feel a range of symptoms such as stiffness, tenderness or mild-to-very severe pain. The pain can come on quite suddenly or over time, and be located anywhere in the spine from the top of the neck down to the pelvis. Sometimes pressure from the back on the nerves can cause pain or pins and needles and numbness in the legs and arms.
How our osteopathic treatment helps back pain
- Osteopaths are well known for treating back pain. There is good quality evidence supporting the beneficial effects of manipulation for back pain.*
- Osteopaths will use a wide range of gentle manual treatments depending on your age, fitness and diagnosis. We may gently massage the soft tissues of your back or rhythmically “rock” the joints to release tension, and sometimes we may gently manipulate the back to loosen the joints.*
- Treatment is different in every individual and sometimes it might involve treating other areas in the body such as the hips or neck.
- We may offer advice on your lifestyle, particularly if we feel something you are doing repetitively is part of the reason why you have back pain. We may offer advice on your posture and give advice on diet and exercise or give you specific exercises to do at home.*
- X-rays, scans or other diagnostic tests may be ordered as needed.
Some of the back conditions we treat:
- Acute & chronic back pain
- Disc problems
- Mechanical back pain
- Tailbone pain
- Hip pain
- Ankylosing spondylitis
Links to helpful articles:
- “Back Manipulation May Help Relieve Chronic Pain” by Dr. Mercola, Published on Mercola.com
- “The Best Doctors You’ve Never Heard Of” by Meehan Christ, Published in Prevention Magazine
- “A Comparison of Osteopathic Spinal Manipulation with Standard Care for Patients with Low Back Pain“, Published in The New England Journal of Medicine
*The effectiveness of diagnosis and treatment vary by patient and condition. Osteopathic Wellness Center does not guarantee certain results.